Saturday, December 30, 2017

What is the FBI National Academy?


As FBI National Academy graduates, these officers enter into a select group made up of less than one percent of the country’s law enforcement officers. ”

I have been asked this question quite a bit the past few months and I thought it might be easier to answer it all at once here. I have attached a few links at the bottom that will explain more thourghly what it is!

The National Academy, called the NA most times for short, is a 10 week ‘academy’ for law enforcement leaders from across the world. It is an invitation only course of study that gives the opportunity to learn about new trends in crime fighting, leadership, law updates, media relations, and about any other topics one in law enforcement should need to think about. It’s impressive the diversity of classes that are offered. All students also participate in a nutrition/physical  fitness program as well.

Upon successfully completing the course, students get college credit (under grad and grad level) through the University of Virginia. This aspect adds a serious legitimitacy to the whole experience.

Students from all over the world (they estimate about 10% of the students are international) live in dorms together, dine together, work out together, go to classes together. This bonding creates the ability to network with each other. Networking leads to conversations, where the students can really learn from each other and have open discussions . I’m told this is the most valuable part of the NA and I’m looking forward to this the most. Truth is, I learn better by having these sort of interactions.

A few other random things to mention about the NA-it’s located at the FBI’s academy in Quantico (I’ve never watched the show ha). It’s FREE! I know, nothing is free, but in this case the cost to the student and their agency is minimal. Room/Board and classes are free to the participants. It’s hard for some of these agencies to lose a valuable member of their staff for 10 weeks, having to not pay for it, makes life a little easier!

I’m pretty excited to attend and I hope to update this blog after I really know what I am talking about!
https://www.fbi.gov/services/training-academy/national-academy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBI_National_Academy


No comments:

Post a Comment

It’s Been A Year!

One year ago I was 4 days into my NA experience....I had no idea what was going to happen from there, but now that I am a year removed I can...